Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Running The Race

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witness to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us."
Hebrews 12: 1 NLT

For diet conscious saints the thought of shedding a few pounds by running a race overwhelms our physical endurance. If you are I, my mid-section hinders my progress. Physical exertion brings panic and despair. I don’t know where to begin. Unlike a runner, I’m not prepared to run. My mind, will, and emotions are out of focus with my desire to shed a few pounds. I fail to understand that endurance comes by practice. This race to shed my poundage begins with an understanding that without painful moments, my excess weight stays put. I need preparation in order to accomplish my goal.

The first place that I prepared was my spiritual life. According to the above verse, we all have a hindrance. Something or attitude that easily blocks our development towards the completion of our race. Everyone soon or later faces a crowd of witnesses. Sooner or later, our faith muscles feel the tension from spiritual fatigue. It maybe the loss of a home, job or a death in your family that blocked your path to victory. At that moment, what are you prepared to do about your hindrance? God desires that you and I remove all hindrances and run to win. Always, remember that a huge crowd in glory watches and cheers your progress. So, shed a few spiritual pounds. Run your race with endurance and claim your reward.

Copyright 2007 Patricia Charlton

No comments: