Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Get The Lead Out

"For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, lest they should understand with their hearts and turn so that I should heal them."
Matthew 13: 15 NKJV

Several years ago, I moved to a new city. For seven years I scratched my head in bewilderment. There was something just not right about the inhabitants of this city. Whenever I ordered two to three different coffees at the local coffee shop, either the cream was missing or the artificial sugar. The clerk couldn’t handle two things at the same time without my repeated instructions. This incident happened with hamburger orders, gasoline, and just about everything. Clear thinking and purposeful actions never crossed the minds of most inhabitants of this city. So, was I nuts or had the world gone crazy? I was the square peg in a round hole. Was I judgmental? Or, something was definitely missing.

The city counsel decision to re-evaluate the infrastructure cleared a pathway to my observations about this unusual behavior. The inter-city streets needed repaving. Because of this study the counsel reported that ninety percent of the older homes had lead water pipes. There was my answer to my perplexing question. Exposure to lead over long periods of time dulled their minds. These people drank the city water. I drank battled water. I wasn’t judgmental afterall. Something was definitely wrong.

After pondering my question about lead in their pipes, the Holy Spirit tapped my shoulder. "Have you checked your spiritual pipes lately?" The warning from the Holy Spirit fell on open ears because I drank battled water from the river of life. Have you re-evaluated your spiritual infrastructure? Could there be lead in your spiritual pipes?

Copyright 2008 Patricia Charlton

No comments: