Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Square Peg

"Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands." II Timothy 1: 6 NKJV

Many events during this journey to the Promised Land shake the foundation of my faith. Those earthquakes of unfamiliarity stretch my faith muscles to the snapping point. My point of view about this journey with Christ often needs re-alignment with the truth of scripture. Familiarity with parents, friends, and church members trains my faith muscles to rely on my coping mechanism instead of Christ’s power. The round peg of faith nicely fit into the round hole of church programs, job, and social status. Until, the bottom fell out of my influential job.
The memory of the sold sign on my prestigious house in an influential neighborhood still brings tears to my eyes. But though this lesson still hurts Christ’s grace and mercy cover the hurtful memories. Even my tears and pleading cry for deliverance only develops an unsettling feeling of doom.

The square peg in a round hole experience didn’t stop at my job or house loss. NO! Things got much worse for my faith muscles. My free spirit and outspoken behavior slammed into a fundamental, conservative church’s agenda. Women were seen and not heard. The women of this congregation learn biblical truths in silence. Again the tears and cry for deliverance continued to bring that square peg in a round hole feeling. After many cries for help, the Holy Spirit whispers, "Will you serve me during your square peg experiences. Honey, this is about character building. So, hang in there."

My familiar feelings stood in the way of Christ developing the writer within this saint. After many hours searching for answers I wrote about my square peg experiences. My fast paced life and familiarity with my coping mechanisms hindered the work of grace hidden within my soul. Jesus knew I was born to write about His grace and mercy. It took my square peg experience with a round hole to serve Jesus with my God given talent. Spirit led writers need quietness and long hours of isolation.
Are you willing to let Christ remove the round peg of your faith from the round hole of familiarity? If so, I warn you, your life will change.

Copyright 2008 Patricia Charlton

No comments: