Thursday, February 19, 2009

Guilded Cage

"But you, O LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts my head high."
Psalm 3: 3 NLT

If there is one thing that I desperately need, it is divine protection. Often, I walk, drive, and enjoy life without a thought of the enemy’s attacks. Without notice trouble hits my soul broadside. My enemy knows that I’m vulnerable without divine protection. How powerful is the LORD’s protection?

In the corner of my family room, Twitty sings. A metal cage surrounds this American songbird. Secure in his world, Twitty sings with joy. Without thought of harm, Twitty enjoys the gentle breezes from an open window. His life is secure and happy. Until, Patches and Tiger invaded his world of leisure. The natural instinct of a tabby cat is my feathered friend. It didn’t take long before Patches took a leap from the couch to the metal cage. Wham! Hit broadside by a flying cat, Twitty shook with fear. With a tasty meal on Patches’s mind, he climbs to the top of Twitty’s cage. Without notice Twitty’s world of leisure ended.

Even with Patches’ desire for Twitty, the metal cage fends off each attempt. Tiny paws can’t reach my feathered friend. Twitty understands that without this metal cage, he is lunch. Patches and Tiger, also, understand the need to hunt.

It doesn’t matter which cat attempts this feat, Twitty’s leisure world ended with my two new fury friends. So it is with my soul and Satan’s attempts to invade my leisure world. Without the LORD’s shield, I’m Satan’s lunch. It doesn’t matter how or when; a broadside attack is unavoidable. But, this I know, the LORD’s shield is secure against Satan attempts.

Copyright 2007 Patricia Charlton

No comments: